Tuesday 2 July 2013

Televising Glastonbury is not going to "ruin the world"




At Glastonbury this year, NME interviewed Two Door Cinema Club about what they thought about the festival. In the interview, lead singer Alex Trimble declared that he believed the over 250 hours of live footage provided by the BBC of the festival was stopping Glastonbury from being “as special”. That isn’t quite that high on the “Wiley-o-meter of ridiculous things said during Glastonbury weekend”, but it’s certainly on there, making a significant mark.


In all disclosure, I did not go to Glastonbury this year. I was unable to get tickets because, when they went on sale, I was on a train going through the countryside trying to use what little 3G connection I could on my phone to give it a shot. Obviously, I failed, though I did surprise myself and get shockingly close. I did end up watching a lot of the coverage of the festival live and kudos must be given to the BBC for the sheer amount of coverage they managed to put out online, on the radio, on TV, and on the red button. Sure, the quality was often not too great, with glitches here and there, but on the whole the coverage was pretty great.

But now back to Trimble’s comments. I can sort of understand where he is coming from. Although he doesn’t explicitly mention this, it could be seen that it is unfair on those that have paid full price for a ticket to the festival to then have thousands sat at home also experiencing the same live performances they are but for the price of the TV license and the electric bill. But he misunderstands the whole ethos of a music festival; the togetherness and the memories created. He even discusses how festivals are an experience shared with the people around you, the friends you make and the memories you create, but then argues that those watching at home “poke their heads in”, seemingly as a distraction or a deterrent from making these memories. This is a comment I don’t quite understand. I can’t grasp how exactly a group of people you can neither see nor hear, whose presence is only marked by the existence of the BBC at the festival, can impact your enjoyment of a festival. They’re not getting involved in your memories. They didn’t experience that time your mate got mashed on pills and started dancing with a bunch of hippie folks in Stone Circle as the sun went up. They didn’t experience that time you lost everyone in Shangri-La and so hung out with some girl and her friends that you met by the pizza van earlier in the day that you bumped into.

There’s nothing like experiencing an event first hand. It feels like I’m stating the obvious here, but there’s a huge disconnect between experience an event and watching it on TV. Watching it on TV, for me, was about watching bands I really like perform fantastic sets, but I don’t get swept up in the atmosphere of the crowd. I can see that the crowd are having a great time but it doesn’t have the same effect on me at home as it would if I were there. I can create a bit of atmosphere myself by turning out the lights, whacking on a strobe and necking several bottles of gin over the course of the day but it wouldn’t be the same. For people watching it at home, the broadcast is about the performances themselves; seeing moments like R Kelly hopping on stage during Phoenix’s set at Coachella or Nile Rodgers and Chic doing every amazing number 1 hit he’s ever had his prints on. For those actually at the event, there’s a whole other dimension to it. It’s the meeting people, the food (sometimes horrible, sometimes great), the plethora of other things to do if there isn’t a band on you fancy watching.

It’s still special in spite of the ability to watch it on TV, same with any live show that is broadcast. I didn’t feel a connection to the artist or the audience during my viewing, something I know for sure I would’ve felt had I been there live. Broadcasting takes very little away from the performance, apart from there perhaps being more cameras around. It sure isn’t going to stop ticket sales as I, and many others, having watched the broadcasts are perhaps more keen to experience it for ourselves. It’s a gateway for people at home to see a world that they did not manage to gain access to. This has no bearing on the people at the actual festival. Sure, you might have people when you get back taking the piss because they had a nice warm bed with access to nice food and a good toilet, but did they really meet as many interesting people as you did, or really experience the performances how they were meant to? The answer is obviously no. Broadcasting, put simply, does not reduce anything about the festival experience for those that are there. And to say it’s “ruining the world” is just ridiculously hyperbolic.